Architectural Elements is a team of artisans that design, fabricate, and install specialized architectural & landscape related projects. Working with all metals, wood, glass, & plastics, we can custom-fabricate any manner of decorative elements and architectural details– from intricate light fixtures to multi-story staircases.
We are now hiring a full-time
We offer a highly competitive wage (DOE) with 6 paid holidays & paid time off. Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance is also available, along with a company 401(k) plan.
Design Engineers research & develop ideas & processes for new products, improve the performance & design of existing products, and coordinate with Project Management on production of final products, in collaboration with several internal departments & external entities. Design Engineers utilize drafting software to create drafts of new designs, taking into consideration feasibility, cost, safety & legal regulations, maintenance, and the environment.
This is not an entry-level position. Qualified candidates must have a minimum of 3 years professional experience in product/industrial/mechanical design. We’re looking for an experienced, turn-key Design Engineer that can jump directly into our project flow.
Key Position Roles:
- Research, design, & create new products related to architecture, art, & landscaping
- Estimate costs for final product designs, and release reports to supervisors, incorporating costs of labor, material, delivery, and overhead; controlling expenditures within limitations of project budget
- Sketch product concepts, complete CADD models, and submit concept drawings for review & revision
- Create detailed & accurate drawings & models that can withstand future modification, all the way down to individual parts for production
- Collaborate with third party engineers, project managers, and creative teams, along with AE’s internal Project Management & Production departments
- Collaborate & coordinate with operations & fabrication teams to review product design for profitability, feasibility, and compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and safety & legal requirements
- Evaluate the function, safety, & appearance of products to ensure they have a practical design that can be produced profitably
- Evaluate & approve design changes, specifications, and drawing releases
- Work closely with operations & fabrication teams to integrate design improvements and ensure adherence to required quality standards
- Consult with fabrication teams during product manufacturing, advising them on design specifications & providing physical assistance when required
- Analyze engineering sketches, specifications, and related data & drawings to determine design factors
- Present designs & perform demonstrations of product prototypes for the approval of clients
- Develop & maintain positive work relationships with AE team members & clients
- Maintain flexibility, adapt quickly & easily, and remain calm in changing situations
PLEASE NOTE: to be considered for this position, candidates must meet a minimum of 80% of these qualifications.
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of education & work experience in design engineering, engineering, product design, industrial design, or mechanical design
- 3+ years’ professional experience in a similar role
- Fluid in SolidWorks CADD software; familiarity with Bluebeam & AutoCAD software
- Solid understanding of different construction & manufacturing methods; especially metals fabrication
- Comprehensive knowledge of the qualities of various materials; especially metals
- In-depth knowledge of physics, engineering, and mathematics
- Thorough understanding of AE’s products/industry and the requirements/needs of our intended users
- Strong aptitude for creating detailed blueprints & instructions; good sketching & concept generation skills
- Ability to devise multiple solutions to problems that satisfy needs for simplicity, elegance, and budget
- Accurate & precise attention to detail
- Excellent time management, organization, & independent judgement skills
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal & written English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Operating Systems & MS Office applications
- Ability to work in our offices in Bellingham, Washington; there is no option to telecommute at this time
Think you'd be a great fit?
Shoot us your resume (including your mobile number and email), your project portfolio, and tell us what you do best.